Book on Carving a Marionette.
I have been wanting to do this for around 30 years, and at last I have cleared my workshop and diary to get this done. So far I have written around ¼ of the total, which has taken over a month… so there are still many months of work to go. It is a slow process as I am taking photographs of every step. This often means remaking parts 2 or 3 times to get the right photo.
It will be a step-by-step guide to make a human string puppet.
- It will cover:
- What tools and chisels are needed, sharpening, wood selection.
- Design, cutting out, jointing and carving a beautiful wooden marionette that really works.
- Finishing the puppet: painting, wig making and stringing.
- How to operate the puppet.
- It is aimed at serious makers whether amateur or professional. I will take the reader through all my methods, that I have learnt from some of puppetry’s masters, and from many, many mistakes.
It will be a book to use in a workshop.
It will have:
- thick paper pages in a wire binding, so the pages will lie flat when opened.
- a hard cover and spine, so it can be put on a bookshelf without collapsing.
- around 150 pages with 700 black and white photos.
- A5 landscape page size, which is a good size to fit on a bench.
I will be self-publishing the book. It will be printed by February 2018.
The more that are printed the cheaper they will be. I aim to get the price down to around £20. So I need to get an idea of how many to print.
PLEASE LET ME KNOW IF YOU MIGHT BE INTERESTED IN BUYING THIS BOOK.
Send me an email with subject PUPPET BOOK. firstname.lastname@example.org
I will email you when the book is available.
Many thanks, John Roberts